Sunday, January 31, 2010

Low Point

Friday night was a low point. My Wii Fit gleefully informed me that I had gained 0.4 lbs. I was devastated--my stomach was empty, my muscles were sore, my burps were fishy, and I had nothing to show for it. I flung myself onto my bed and began to sob loud enough for my husband to hear so that he would come console me. I dramatically informed him that I was a complete failure and was making a fool out of myself by committing to this ridiculous goal. Like a good husband, he gave me a pep talk and coaxed me out of the bed and off the proverbial ledge. The next morning, I weighed myself again and was elated to discover that I had lost 2.4 lbs. Apparently, I had just eaten a big dinner the night before. Although the subject of this blog is not weight-loss, my half-marathon will be much easier if I am not carrying so much extra weight.

I visited my parents over the weekend by accident. My husband and I had planned to visit my nauseatingly fit sister and her marathon-running fiance in Virginia. On Saturday, we were packed up and heading in that direction--determined not to let the blizzard swirling around us derail our plans--when we conceded defeat and stopped at my parents house instead. Since my parents are avid readers of my blog, they promptly asked me if I had exercised yet that day. In that moment, I was reminded of the irritating reality of accountability. I twisted my dad's arm, and he agreed to lead me in a yoga session.

My dad has been doing yoga since before it was cool. I have clear memories of him rolling around on the floor while the rest of the family was watching a movie or playing a board game during family night. He has even been known to take his mat out into the back yard in the wee hours of the morning for some sunrise yoga. During family beach vacations, it was not uncommon for us girls to be sunbathing in lawn chairs and look over to see our dad standing on his head. (As a side note, I have told many people that my dad can stand on his head for two hours at a time because I thought I remembered him doing so as a child. I was recently informed that it was actually more like ten minutes. Apparently, if you stand on your head for two hours, your head will, most likely, explode.) Anyway, I was not disappointed. He led me in great routine and gave me some pointers. I am not even sore today.

Today, I walked a mile in the snow with my mom. After my low point on Friday, I was thrilled when I didn't even get winded when walking up the big hill at the end of my parent's road.

I recently made a killer work-out mix for my ipod, so tomorrow I am back on the treadmill...

7 comments:

  1. Lynne! You are going great. Drinking a lot of water or eating a big dinner will cause you to weigh more on the scale. Each time I get on the wii fit (everyday almost) it weighs me but I only pay attention to what it says once a week. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Lynne! I need to know what your awesome play list is! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne, I love reading about your journey. This may become a book one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. keep it up, my lovely lynne! maybe after all this stinkin' snow clears up we can get together for a walk outside :) LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Apparently if you freeze the fish oil pills you won't have the fishy burps- advice from a resident when I showed her your blog
    2) I made you a workout mix, that you will get this weekend so I hope you will have some inspiring workouts to come

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like exercise is becoming FUN! That's great! There may be 2 nauseatingly fit sisters in the months to come! Keep it up! Love you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..it was 2 hours. i'm positive.

    ReplyDelete